The Silver Strand Art Group visited the historic Adamson House in Malibu on August 20, 2013 and saw extraordinary examples of Malibu Pottery tile work. The Adamson House has the most comprehensive collection of these famous tiles remaining today. It can be found throughout the house: on the interior and exterior, on tabletops, fireplaces and fountains. The Malibu Pottery workshop was established by May Rindge in 1926 and closed in 1932. The Adamson House is on the grounds of what was once the 13,000 acre Malibu Spanish Land Grant. May and Frederick H. Rindge were the last owners of the grant. Their daughter, Rhoda Rindge Adamson (and husband Merritt Huntley Adamson) built the house in 1929. The architect was Stiles Clement. Merritt Adamson died in 1949, but Rhoda continued to live there until her death in 1962. The State of California purchased the home in 1968. It opened to the public in 1983. It was declared a State landmark in 1985.
The Silver Strand Art Group in front of the Adamson House.
The extraordinary star-shaped pool overlooking the Pacific Ocean
A peacock fountain
One of the wall murals