Spinnaker, Topsail and adjacent Roma Courts held a late afternoon “Happy Hour Party” on Sunday, June 1, 2014. The weather was gorgeous and the event was a success with many attending to enjoy the pleasure of meeting friends and other Silver Strand neighbors. Guests sipped wine and nibbled on delicious appetizers including pizza. Penny Akashi brought one dish which received uniform kudos, so many that by request I have published the recipe below. The hosts were Block Captains Richard Lysle (Spinnaker) and Clarissa Cervantes and Angela Durrant (Topsail).
Nora Nicosia, SSMHOA Board Member and Chair of the Block Captain Committee, looks at the educational table set up by the City of Los Angeles’ LA Stormwater Program which protects our watershed by controlling flooding and preventing pollution from running into rivers and creeks, including Ballona Creek.
Happy guests, left to right: Marilee and Fred Karlsen (SSMHOA Board President), Nora Nicosia, Clarissa Cervantes and Dr. Edward Amorosi.
Richard Lysle, SSMHOA Board Member and one of party hosts.
Above: The beautiful pinata is about to meet its inevitable demise.
Thanks to Clarissa Cervantes for her photographs of the party.
Penny Akashi’s Endive Appetizer with Oranges and Goat Cheese(from myrecipes.com)
- For the Vinaigrette
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Spanish$
- 1 whole garlic head, top sliced off$
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- For the Appetizer (can also be served as a salad)
- 20 Belgian endive leaves
- 40 orange sections (4 oranges)$
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 2 ounces sliced Marcona almonds$
- Minced chives
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Place olive oil in a small roasting pan with garlic. Bake 30–35 minutes or until garlic cloves feel soft.
- 2. Remove from oven, and separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Process garlic cloves, vinegar, shallot, salt, and pepper in a blender until smooth.
- 3. On each of 4 plates, place 5 endive leaves in a pinwheel pattern. Add 2–3 orange segments to each leaf of endive. Crumble a little goat cheese over each, and top with a few almond slices. Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of the roasted-garlic vinaigrette (you’ll have extra), and garnish with minced chives.